Tuesday 7 August 2012

WEEK 30 SYL CHALLENGE: HABITS & MOTIVATION

Challenge this week: reflect on your existing household management routines (or lack thereof) and decide on 1 new habit to establish.  Decide on how you will make it work (set yourself up for success) and track your progress.  Give it at least a month and we will check in after the next block of challenges.

This is an interesting challenge, and the first thing that pops into my head, is the ironing.

I find that although I’m great with the washing and sorting, I’m not consistent with the ironing. 

I will let the ironing basket pile up to a point where I need to start installing support beams to stop it from toppling. 

I couldn’t tell you the last time I saw the bottom of the ironing basket, to be honest.  In fact, there are possibly clothes and items in there that I forgot I even had.

So, for me, I think I need to set up a routine around the ironing.  I think this will be my one new habit to establish.

So, lately I’ve taken to ironing after I come home from tennis on a Monday.  I can sit down and iron (which I actually find quite relaxing), and watch my cooking shows on Lifestyle Food in peace.  No bloody Charlie and Jade around sucking the life out of me. 

I think if I can establish this as a routine every Monday, I will see the bottom of my ironing basket on a more regular basis.

So, how am I going to ensure this happens?  I have no fucken idea.  With something like ironing, I’m not accountable to anyone or anything.  Nor do I wish to be.  It’s ironing, for fucks sake.  So, I don’t want to enlist the help of a ‘motivational tracker’ (someone who checks in with you to see how you’re going).  That would be serious overkill.  Plus, I hate people nagging me.

I think, like anything else, I need to clear space in my calendar, and just do it.  Monday afternoon could simply become ironing time (she says, whilst realising she has a doctor and dentist appointment and a CWA meeting coming up in the next couple of weeks).  *sigh*

So, how’s this sound?  The priority to me, on a Monday after tennis, if I have nothing else of major importance planned, is to do my ironing.  This is a routine that I will start to establish from this point onward.

I feel like half of Monday is lost because of tennis, so the afternoon (apart from doctors and dentists) is not a time frame that I would plan something major.  So, ironing it is.

Be interested to see how I go at this one, let me tell you.

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment