Wednesday 6 July 2011

PARENTHOOD

How do you teach a child appreciation?

How do you teach someone that is solely focused on themselves, to think of others?  To look at the big picture?

You can’t, I guess.  I’ve been trying for 10 years now, and I think it’s a big, massive FAIL.

Is it in someone’s nature to be selfish?  Narrow minded? Short sighted? Stubborn? Or is it just a ‘teenage’ thing?

I think it’s a combination of both.  I think, or am I trying to convince myself that’s the case? :D

I think out of all of the moral lessons you can teach your child, and let’s admit; there are many of them, I think consideration for others is one of the hardest.  It certainly is in this case, anyway.

As a parent, you teach your child everything from how to hold a fork, to how to behave appropriately in public.  From riding a bike to ‘skirts that are so short that they show your fun hole’ are not acceptable, unless you’re a hooker. The list is endless.

It’s hard to teach them that calling other people names is not cool.  Taking other people’s property without their permission is not cool.  Applying your makeup with a flat edged trowel and looking like a plastic surgery experiment gone wrong, is not cool.  Dressing like a 20 year old when you’re 14, is not cool (in my eyes anyway.  The 14 year old would disagree, I dare say).  Enacting revenge because you’ve been caught out and punished for mucking up, is not cool.  That it’s not important to be the most popular person at school, and that studying to secure your future is.  I sound like my father *slaps forehead in horror*

However, emotive attributes are so much harder, I think.

Teaching them to feel that little bit of guilt so they don’t muck up or hurt someone’s feelings again.  To teach them regret for poor behaviour.  To teach them the consequences of their actions.  To teach them it’s okay to feel proud when you’ve achieved something awesome.  To control themselves in public when they have achieved something awesome, then crying and yelling in the car on the way home because no one can see you and be offended, because you need to express your awesomeness.

To express yourself with grace and clarity, whilst considering others.  To control yourself and your temper, because anger achieves nothing.

To consider all other people involved when decisions are being made. 

To look at the big picture, and think about consequences and impact.

To appreciate what you have, because there are so many others that have not. 

To feel the fear, and do it anyway.

To understand that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Who said it was easy being a parent?

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment