Tuesday 1 May 2012

WEEK 18 SYL CHALLENGE: TIME MANAGEMENT: PROCRASTINATION


Procrastination.

That terrible word that is a very real part of most everyone’s life. 

You may deny it, but on some level, we all procrastinate.  It can be a major issue, or a minor one, but it’s there.

I will be the first to admit that there are times where I procrastinate, particularly when I’m tired or bored.

Challenge this week: be aware when you start procrastinating.  Figure out the why and determine the best way for you to tackle it.  This will be different for each person, as there are so many variables involved.  For chronic issues, you may try different things through the week.  Like many of the challenges, this will not be a one-off, try it and find your perfect solution forever situation.  You will benefit from working on this long term so be kind to yourself this week.  Aim to stop some of your procrastinating, learn as you go, and realise it is a part of our lives and will come up continuously for most people

For a lot of people, procrastination centres on simply not wanting to start something.  Whether they do not have the tools for the job, the job seems too big and overwhelming, they’re not sure where to start, or they simply can’t be bothered dealing with it.  Its simple avoidance, and being told to harden up and just do it, doesn’t help.

For some people, it’s not about starting, but actually finishing.  Some people are comfortably in limbo, because finalisation means not only bringing ‘safe’ negotiations or dreams to an end, but commitment to the next phase.

Some of these issues are easily fixed, I think.  I know if I find myself delaying starting a project, I have to sit myself down and ask what the fuck I’m doing.

Do I not have the tools to do the job?  No?  well get them.  Stop mucking around.

Is the job too daunting?  Well, break it down into smaller jobs, and tackle one at a time.

My garden is a perfect example of that.  I’ve procrastinated on a lot of work in the garden because it’s simply so overwhelming. 

I have twenty-six garden beds at home.  Twenty-six spread across an acre.  When I look at that number, I shit myself.  Twenty-six.  It’s completely overwhelming to know that I have to manage all of that, and hold down a nearly full time job.  It’s a massive challenge.

So, instead of procrastinating and stressing myself out, because ignoring the garden just makes the job of maintaining it even harder, I broke the garden down into sections of priority.

Whatever needed the most urgent attention got it first.  Some gardens, like the veggie garden, need constant planning and attention.  Others like the rose and perennial gardens don’t, but they do need it at specific times of the year. 

It was simply a matter of mapping out a plan of management, and following it; one garden bed at a time.

The other thing that really helped in this situation was eliminating the pressure I put on myself.  Did it really matter if I didn’t do any gardening this weekend?  What’s the worst that could happen?  A plant may die?  As terrible as that is, shit happens.  Plants die, and you pull them out, replace them, and move on.  That’s the beauty of a garden: it’s constantly evolving.

If you’re not sure where to start a project, simply list down what you think needs to be done, and work out priorities.

If you can’t be bothered starting, then you have to ask yourself if the task is really that important at all?

As for procrastinating on finishing, well eventually thinks must transcend.  You need completion to move forward, and if you’re afraid to move forward, then you must ask yourself why.  It then becomes something more than just a matter of procrastination.

As I said before, I find myself procrastinating most when I’m tired or bored. 

I could have ticked all the boxes (have the tools, have the plan, know where to start), but am really tired and can’t focus.  I become easily distracted, and end up travelling down another tangent that has nothing to do with what I’m meant to be doing!

That where the lessons from a couple of challenges comes into play.  Is it really that important?  Can it wait? If it can’t, then I have to remove all distractions and commit myself to what I have to do, and just do it.

However, if it’s not important, then I just walk away.  If my life is not going to end, or the world is not going to be swallowed up into a big black hole, then I can give it a miss for now.

I think that’s what it all comes down to.  How important is the task that you want to do?  Is it even worth doing?  Does it fit in with the big ‘life’ picture for yourself, or is it just a meaningless task?

Is it something that someone else wants or needs us to do, and I use work as a perfect example.  Sometimes it can be hard to find the motivation to do the things I need to do at work, particularly if I’m bored or tired. 

I find with work though, that if there is a task that is stressful, or requires a considerable time commitment, that I clear the schedule and just get into it straight away.  Face the ‘fear’, and do it.  More often than not, after I have finished the task, my mind is at ease, and the stresses or concerns are gone.

There are, however, some big issues in my life that I know I am procrastinating on.  I won’t go into them here, but I know fear of change is what is making me hesitate, amongst many other things.

These are serious, life changing decisions… and perhaps procrastination is the wrong word.  I’ve made the decision I need to make; it’s now just a matter of timing.

Even though, fear still holds me back.

So, this week I have to recognise procrastination when it rears its head, ask myself what’s going on, and get my shit together.

Could be a confronting week.

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment