Sunday 26 February 2012

I'M NOT ALONE AFTER ALL...


So, I was in Bendigo yesterday doing some shopping with Iris.

We parked in the car park near Coles (yes, I was lucky enough to actually score a car park there at 12.30 in the afternoon – miracle), and I needed to go to the toilet.

Iris waddled off to the bench seat in front of Coles to wait for me, as I ventured to the public toilets nearby.

So, I’m sitting there seriously regretting the Tony Ferguson Yoghurt Berry Snack Bar I had eaten for morning tea, which just quietly, should have been labelled ‘laxative’, when a woman came into the stall next to me.

‘My God…’ she said.  ‘The public toilets in Bendigo are atrocious.’

‘You’re not wrong.’ I muttered, looking around at the scratched, graffiti covered walls and broken tiles of my own cubicle.  Apparently, Kate loves someone and some other chick puts out…  ‘These toilets were so nice when they were built…’

‘And those other stupid space aged things…’

‘The one’s in the mall?’

‘Yes.  They’re all modern and wonderful, but filthy…’

‘You know, it took me two years to figure out that they were actually toilets?’

‘Same here!’ she laughed.  ‘There’s nothing on them saying they’re toilets.’

‘Plus, the space they take up, they could have put like four cubicles in them.’

‘Yeah!’

‘Why did they pull the wisteria trestles down in the mall?  They were so beautiful…’

‘Weren’t they?’ she sighed, and I could hear her pulling on the toilet paper.  ‘This toilet paper is shit house.’

‘I call it rice paper.’

‘Ha! Good name!  Dissolves when it comes into contact with water…’ she flushed.

Thank you, I thought to myself, feeling a little vindicated. 

Her cubicle door banged, and she said ‘Even these sinks are terrible.  I need some hand sanitiser…’

‘I have some if you need?’

‘That would be awesome!’ I yanked my little bottle out of my bag and slid it under the door.  Of course I would be able to do that, because of the 20 foot gap at the bottom of the fucken door…

She used the hand sanitiser, and slid it back under.  ‘Thank you for that.  I feel cleaner already!’

‘No problem.’

‘You have a great day now!’ she chirped, and I could hear her hurried steps leading her away.

‘You too love.’ I smiled, looking at my little bottle of hand sanitiser, still regretting the snack bar…

Well, it would seem that my views on public toilets are not unique. 

I’m not alone after all…

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment