Friday 27 April 2012

WEEK 16 SYL CHALLENGE: TIME MANAGEMENT: FOCUS & SLOW DOWN


Deb, the creator of the SYL Challenge, has hit upon an area that I need serious improvement on, and have been working toward for some time now.

Focusing on what needs to be done, and slowing down.

I’m one of these ‘busy’ people that run around everywhere and have a million and one things to do.  I try to cram as much into my day as possible, and often feel exhausted at the end of the day, and like I haven’t achieved everything I set out to do.

This is where ‘lists’ come in handy for me.  I’m forever working off lists, and setting priorities from that list.

Reading through this week’s challenge, I can see that through my learnings so far, that I’m starting to clear out some of the unimportant clutter (small rocks), and shift my attention to the more important things that need to be done, including personal priorities for myself.

Since starting this challenge, I have gone from someone that puts their personal priorities, and I’ll use exercise as a perfect example, last, and everyone else’s needs first.

Now, going to the gym every day, and doing water aerobics twice a week has been built into the natural flow of my week.  Just like I have to go to work four days a week, I have to go to the gym on the way home.  The priorities on my day off are the gym and water aerobics, followed by the secondary things that support the flow of the household, such as cooking and ironing, etc. 

Gym and aerobics are only put off for things that I want to do, and not things that I need to do.  They are not, and will not, be swept aside to accommodate someone else’s needs, unless of course there is an emergency or something important that requires my assistance.

In doing this, I’ve somehow managed to free up a lot more time in my day.  I’ve succeeded in sifting out the unimportant stuff, carrying out the priorities, and managing the general stuff well.

However, I’m not perfect, and still have a way to go, even though I think I’m getting the hang of things.

As I mentioned before, I do make lots of lists, and on my days off, I scribble down the things I want to do.  I find that if I write them down, I don’t have to remember them, and the fear of ‘forgetting’ something is gone. 

I don’t stress so much, and I simply prioritize my list, and get on with it.  My list is not dominated by things I must do, rather than things that are important and need immediate attention, followed by secondary things that contribute to the flow of the house, and then ‘me’ time.

It’s incredible how, by simply listing things, prioritising them, and doing your best to get through them, whilst ensuring you include ‘me time’, frees up so much more time.

It’s a lot simpler than you think.

This week’s challenge talks about multitasking, which is something I love to do, but often fuck up.

I can get distracted very easily, as most people can, and a straight forward task can drag out for ages, because I’m jumping all over the place.  I also find that I can be in a hurry to do things, and end up stressing myself out because I’m rushing; rushing for simply no reason.

For example; if I’m later home from work than planned, I race in the back door, start throwing things together in the kitchen, drop things, cut myself, burn dinner or present some slop that somehow resembles something that could be eaten.  

I may be paying the bills online, but get distracted by Facebook, and end up stuffing up a payment.  I could be typing up recipes for my Facebook recipe page, and get distracted by emails or faxes.

All of this simply results in me being more stressed, and dreading having to do these tasks again, which could be made much simpler if I just focused and slowed down.

Hence why this challenge seems to be a good one for me.

Some of the changes that Deb suggests, are as follows:

Eliminating distractions so that when I’m on one task, I stay on that task (i.e. closing other windows while I write a blog post so I don’t dip into email)

Learning when to single task versus multi task (the trick to multi-tasking is to make sure you are combining two ‘autopilot type tasks’, like laundry folding and watching TV, cooking whilst chatting on the phone, or jogging whilst listening to a podcast, rather than tasks that involve skill or brain work).

Building in breathing room (leave blank time in your schedule between appointments and tasks, allow for travel time, prioritize me-time).

Choose the simpler method or option when possible (gives a savings of time, energy, stress and even money at times).

Self-care should be invested in upfront, rather than solely as a reward when you have accomplished ‘enough’ (if left for last, you will often run yourself into the ground emotionally or physically).

Focus on what is truly important (often, if you look at a to-do list of 10 items, there are only 2 that are truly important or critical for that day)

I laughed when I saw this list, because some of these things are so me.  I iron whilst I’m watching telly (two ‘autopilot’ things), I unload washing, drying or fold laundry whilst cooking, and so on. 

However, closing other windows whilst I’m working on specific tasks on the computer is gold.  I feel stupid for not having thought of that before! If I do that next time I pay the bills on line, I may not stuff them up! LOL! 

There are a few great ideas here that I can build into my day, as well as the possibility of a lot more.

So the challenge this week is this:

1.      Set yourself up for success and identify only 2 or 3 important things that you must do each day.  If you achieve those few things and have time, energy or inclination, do more.
2.     Build in breathing room to your day and plan some down time – every day!
3.     Focus.  This week, work to eliminate multi-tasking when you are doing your important brain work at the very least, or from all areas if you are up for a serious challenge.  As much as possible, give whatever you are doing, your undivided attention. 

One thing Deb suggests is that if you find you’re looking for a distraction after a period of time, then maybe you have been doing that task for too long.  Give yourself a break, walk away, make a cup of tea, and return to it.  Can it wait until later if you need a break?

So, this week, I’m going to focus on ‘autopilot’ multi-tasking, and dedicating my attention to ‘brain work’ tasks, so I can focus and get things done.  I’m going to endeavour to eliminate distractions whilst I’m working on the serious stuff, with a view to getting shit done, and giving myself more time back.

Should be an interesting week!

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment