Saturday 14 April 2012

NICE DAY FOR A .... WHITE WEDDING...


I love weddings.

Charlie calls them funerals. *rolls eyes*

There’s nothing that brings family together more than a wedding or a funeral.  Clearly, a wedding is the preferred of the two, though in Charlie’s view, it’s much in the same.

So, Charlie and I found ourselves at Woodlands Golf Course on Saturday the 8th of April, to celebrate the nuptials of my cousin Ashlea (second cousin, actually), and her beau, Michael.

What an interesting start to their lives together, these two have had.

They met about five years ago (I didn’t know this) when they worked together at Woolworths. 

Life sent them down different paths, and about eighteen months ago, Ashlea found herself pregnant and alone (her partner at the time showed his true colours, and took off).

So Ashlea turned to her good friend Michael for some advice; one thing lead to another, and we all found ourselves celebrating their union on this special day.

I will be honest and say; I had my doubts.  Possibly still do, to a point, because I don’t know or understand the history between these two in great detail.

However, I do know Ashlea.  She falls in love quick and falls hard.  She’s had her beautiful heart broken a few times by people, and it’s been so very painful for her.

I have no doubt that she loves this man, and after seeing the two of them together on Saturday, I can see it in him too.  They simple adore each other, and I’m so truly happy for them both.

It says a lot about a man’s character when he’s willing to take on another man’s child, particularly before the child has even been born!  He embraced little Oscar when he came into this world, and seems determined to carve out a future for his new little family.

After meeting him (I know! I hadn’t even met him!) and his family on the weekend, I feel confident that both Ash and Mike are supported and loved as much as they support and love each other.

Seeing two people so in love was really a beautiful thing to behold.

The ceremony was outdoors near the first hole of the golf course under a setting of gorgeous gum trees, and was just perfect: short and sweet! Just how I like it!

Ashlea wore a gorgeous white dress with trims of purple and silver.  It was really unusual, but quite stunning.  Michael suited up in a charcoal grey, which matched his ‘best woman’.  Yep; his ‘best man’ was his sister, Anne.  It was his wedding, so why the fuck not?  Nothing in this relationship had been conventional so far, so what change now? :D

Anne and Amber (Ashlea’s sister) wore matching dresses, but Anne was in grey and Amber in purple.  So the whole grey, purple and white theme flowed beautifully.  Can’t wait to see the official photos!

We all enjoyed an absolutely beautiful feed at the Woodlands Club House.  Gorgeous canapés of seafood on potato rosti’s, chicken and prawn skewers and salsa tarts, just to mention a mouth-watering few.

My friends; let’s not kid ourselves.  Sure, a wedding is about celebrating the union of our friends and/or loved ones.

But there’s also the food.

Oh yes; the food.

The reception room was beautifully ornate, and actually had a lounge area as well.  So, after having a big feed and a good time, you could go and chill on the comfy couches if you wished. 

It all overlooked the gorgeous, manicured golf course, which Charlie kept wishing he could play on instead of having to be at a wedding (or funeral, as he called it).

The room was dimly lit, which was wonderful, because I look ten times sexier in a dim light.  Charlie said I would look better in a paper bag, but the dim light would do.  Thanks for that.

So the first course was a choice of either coconut buttered prawns on a cucumber coleslaw (I had this and it was awesome) or a slow cooked spiced pork belly.  Considering Charlie doesn’t do the seafood thing, I think I scored. 

Second course (main) was a choice between a beef sirloin on a potato rosti and spinach or chicken on garlic mash with asparagus and bacon crumbs.  I had the chicken, and swear I died and went to heaven.

Dessert was a selection of brie cheesecake with grape compote and honey jelly, or a gooey chocolate pudding with raspberry jelly and ice cream.

When these meals were placed in front of me, I couldn’t help but think that ‘reception’ food has come such a long way.

It’s no longer the mass pumped out beef and chicken shit that we use to get years ago.  It’s artfully designed, palette pleasing food that’s akin to a three hated restaurant more than a wedding reception.  It was simply stunning.

So after eating and drinking our fill, dragging Charlie around the dance floor (much to his displeasure) and taking and being in fifty million photos, moving around tables and having conversations with cousins I haven’t seen for ages, reminiscing about my own special day, being jealous over the clear adoration that Ash and Mike had for one another, it was time to go home.

Time to leave and let Mr and Mrs Riley start their new life together.

I wish them many blessings.

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment