Thursday 12 April 2012

ALOWYN GARDENS


So on the weekend, Charlie, Iris and I travelled down to Mt Evelyn to stay with my cousins Mary and Pete. 

We all had a family wedding to attend on the Saturday, and it was just easier to stay at Mez and Pete’s place instead of travelling like three hours home on the night of the wedding.

Anyway, the day after the big gig, we’re heading back to Tooborac, via Yarra Glen.  Lovely place, Yarra Glen.  Particularly if you’re into wines.

So, on the outskirts of Yarra Glen, is a beautiful private garden called Alowyn Gardens.

We passed it on the way down to Mez and Pete’s, and I said to Charlie that we’d have to call in there one afternoon and have a look.

Little did I know that on the way home, that’s exactly what Charlie planned to do. 

Having Iris and I (two avid gardeners) trapped in the car with him, we had little choice by to go along with him! LOL!

From the road, Alowyn doesn’t look like much, but my God! What a beautiful place!

Spread across many acres of land, the owners started clearing the grounds in 1999, and after a lot of planning and design, planted their first tree in 2001.  Eleven years later, the result is nothing short of amazing.

It’s mainly a drought tolerant garden, and considering the time frame in which it was designed, planted and established, it would have to be.  The creation of this magnificent garden was during a very tough drought period.

Alowyn Gardens has got everything.  Lovely cottage style gardens, manicured hedge gardens, sweeping mass-planted landscapes, native gardens, birch forests, a little miners cottage, vegetable and herb gardens and an amazing orchard boasting apples, plums, persimmons and quince, to an incredible vertical garden with the most amazing gourds I’ve ever seen.

It was simply incredible! 

I’ve never seen so many varieties of salvia in my life, and I LOVE salvia!  I nearly lost my tiny little mind. Pentstemons, dahlias, daisies, roses, wisteria, succulents… and so many more that I cannot even begin to describe.

The work put into this garden is incredible, and it’s no wonder it won Garden of the Year in 2008.

They have a gorgeous outdoor café and nursery, where iris very excitedly bought quite a few little plants.

The entry fee is $9.00 for adults, and $7.50 for concession.  I can’t remember the costs for kids, but that will give you a ball park idea.

It’s open Saturday and Sunday from 10.00am to 5.00pm, and closed through the week, except for public holidays.  It’s also closed during June, July and August (winter months).

If you have the opportunity, or for some reason, find yourself in this area, please do yourself a favour, and visit Alowyn Gardens.


Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment