Monday 16 April 2012

RANDOM ACTS OF FREEWAY KINDNESS


I was reading a girlfriends blog today, www.louslaughsandlearnings.blogspot.com.au, and a memory of something recent popped into my head.

You see, Lou was talking about altruism, (amongst other things), and where there is a point in which you have to draw the line.  We’re supposed to love and give unconditionally, but sometimes, you get to a point where you can give no more without compromising yourself.

That made me think of random acts of kindness, and I recall a story from a couple of weeks ago that I want to share.

I was driving along the Geelong Freeway, from Hoppers Crossing (where our mail box for work is) back into the office at Sunshine. 

It was a school holidays, and the traffic wasn’t overly heavy.  Four lanes of 100kms an hour was bliss!

Anyway, I’m in the very left hand lane, hooning along, and in one of the centre lanes, was a big arse 4WD ute towing a caravan.  The ute was loaded up with possessions, Mum and Dad in the front, kids in the back.

Their front left had tire was flat.

I dare say, because of the weight they were towing, they couldn’t tell.

All I could think was ‘forget the tyre; they’re going to completely stuff their rim if they don’t pull over’.

So, I come up alongside them, wind the window down and start tooting the horn.  The mother looks at me, and I start pointing to their flat tyre.

Obviously, she couldn’t understand me, so she wound her window down.  I yelled out ‘Your front tyres flat!’

She gave me the thumbs up, and turned to her hubby as I drove away.

In the rear view mirror, I saw their hazard lights come on, and their vehicle slowly make it’s way across the lanes, and pull up in the emergency lane.

I drove along, smiling to myself, because I felt I’d done something good for someone else.

How long would they have travelled before there was a problem?  How long had they been travelling already?  Would anyone else have stopped them or pointed this out to them?

What kind of holiday would they have had if their rim was damaged; an expensive one, I dare say.

It cost me nothing to help them, but I couldn’t help but wonder if someone would have done that for me?

Treat others as you would yourself, they say.

Peace out.


No comments:

Post a Comment