Tuesday 12 June 2012

WEEK 23 & 24 SYL CHALLENGE: DECLUTTER YOUR ROBE & CLUTTER PREVENTION


So, I’m combining these two challenges this week, because I am already incorporating these things into my life.

The Week 23 ‘de-clutter your wardrobe’ challenge is pretty self-explanatory, and something that I’ve been doing for a long time.

I think I’ve touched on it before in a previous blog; if it’s over twelve months old and I haven’t used it, it’s gone.

Deb’s challenge for week 23 suggests going through things more thoroughly, and really organising yourself.  Here are the five steps she suggests:

Sort ‘like with like’ so you can clearly see what you own. 

What she means, is keep similar things together.  Keep the singles with singles, tee’s with tee’s, jeans with jeans and so on.  Now, to some people, this would sound anal, but to me (who is anal), it makes perfect sense.  Not only can you see what you actually own, but you can fucken find things. 

Get rid of items that belong in the trash.  

Things that you would simply be embarrassed to wear, for whatever reason.  Like, if it’s ‘out of fashion’, or doesn’t fit, or threadbare, or too crappy for ‘play clothes’.  Get rid of it. 

Just a side note: I have play clothes at home.  Play clothes are clothes that are still serviceable, but too crappy to wear out in public.  Stuff that I don’t mind being trashed in the garden, or when I’m chasing cows around, or in the kitchen, or when I’m doing housework.  Old tops, trackie pants, jeans, jumpers; play clothes.

Assess what you have left to see what you have too much of or not enough of. 

I recently did a cull of my wardrobe, and got rid of the things that I don’t wear anymore, but sadly, that’s left me with some serious holes to fill.

At the moment, I find that I don’t have sufficient winter clothing.  I’m wearing like the same four tops that I’ve been wearing for months, simply because I don’t have enough warm clothing.

Sure; I can go out and buy more, but it’s easier said than done.  I don’t always have time to go shopping for clothing, and when I do have time, sometimes I don’t have the money.  Then, when I do have the time and the money, I can’t fucken find anything I like.  Isn’t that always the way?

I figure, if I was skinny, I would be able to shop anywhere and buy anything.  Even though I’m sure skinny people have difficulty finding appropriate, flattering clothing; they have much more choice.  Fucken skinny people.

Ask yourself hard questions.

Do I really need this when I don’t wear it anymore?  Even though it’s pretty? Even though it holds such good memories? Do these items belong to another life? Another part of me?  Am I just hanging on to this for sentimental reasons?  Is it time to let go?

Fill in the gaps to intentionally create your new wardrobe that you will use and love.

This I’ve been doing for a while.  I don’t by anything unless it will go with what I already have in my wardrobe, or unless I’m likely to get a lot of wear out of it.  I like to mix and match, where I can, to get the most mileage out of my clothing.  However, I can be boring with my selections at times.  I rarely do patterns or florals.  Very rarely.  Boring block colours for me, people.  Zzzzz….

So, Week 23’s challenge was about sorting out your threads, including accessories.  Yes; I’ve even culled some handbags and shoes.  OMG.  That nearly fucken killed me, but someone out there at an Op Shop will be enjoying them.

So, this brings us to the Week 24 Challenge: Clutter Prevention.

I don’t know about you, but I find over a period of time, that the ‘clutter’ comes back.  You do a massive clean-up or a massive cull, and six months later, you find yourself doing it again.

Charlie and I don’t buy a lot of ‘stuff’.  We’re not materialistic in that sense.  Yes, I love cook books and dvd’s, so I tend to see these collections grow.  However, I couldn’t tell you the last time I bought an ornament or decoration for my house.  I couldn’t tell you the last time I bought something for my kitchen, because I believe I have everything I need anyway.

However, I still need to cull, and most of the culling is done in the fucken shed.  That’s Charlie’s domain, and again, I’ve touched on this before.

However, sitting here typing this makes me think of the boxes full of old cook books that I have in the top of the wardrobe.  It may be time to cull some of them too.

I think the key to preventing clutter is being content with what you have.  Some people just buy shit for the sake of buying it.  They see something, and they simply must have it, whether it’s realistic or not. 

Sometimes you’ve got to step back and ask yourself whether you really need something.  Too many of us buy stuff on impulse, from a new set of pretty towels for the guest bathroom (when the ones you have a perfectly fine) to the latest whizz-bang tv (when the one you have works perfectly).

We just consume too much shit, and it’s not just the clutter factor involved, it’s the cost.  Sure, something may only cost you $10, but if you impulse buy ten times, suddenly, you’ve spent a $100 on shit you don’t really need. 

You know what I could do with $100?  Buy a couple of new fucken tops for winter, is what.

I like to ask myself if my life will go on if I don’t have such and such a thing.  Sure, it sounds tight-arsy, but let’s be real here: I have a fucken mortgage to pay and a car to run.  It’s a matter of priority.

Plus, I would rather spend my money on things I know I would enjoy, like books (for my Kobo), cook books, plants for the garden, and new fucken clothes for winter.

Your money only goes so far; don’t waste it on a heap of shit you can really do without.

I think the fact that I’ve got other priorities in my life (like a fucken mortgage) has forced me to understand that sometimes, you just can’t have all this shit you want. 

It’s taught me to be content with what I have.  It’s taught me to live in the present and enjoy the things around me, and set limits on what I can afford.  It’s taught me to not stress over the material, and shift my focus on to more worthwhile things, like time with family and friends.

It’s simplified my life, I suppose you would say, and isn’t that the entire purpose of this challenge?

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment