Monday 26 September 2011

THE RENOVATORS


I love this show, and I want the boys in the Fibro Cottage to win.

Now, for those of you that don’t watch the show, you can stop reading here.  Nothing will make sense to you from this point on.  However, if you are interested in getting into it, please continue reading.

For those that do watch the show (all two of you), keep reading, because this will mean something to you, and I won’t feel so alone! LOL!

So, why do I want the Fibro Cottage boys to win?

Well, they are so young and work so hard and look like lost puppies most of the time, and try so hard to win the challenges (and win a few of them, at that).

I like these boys.  One’s a tradie and one’s a real estate agent that is learning along the way, and working so hard.  They’ve done it the hardest along the way, I think, because within weeks, they were down to a team of just two people.  They’ve battled along like that for months now, and they’re kicking arse.

The underdogs, I would say, and doesn’t everyone love an underdog?

Why don’t I want the others to win?  Well, let’s break it down. 

The boys in the Inner City Terrace: they’re gorgeous.  One’s really pretty, and needs to work without his shirt on more often (I don’t care that its cold when this series was filmed, take your shirt off and show me your muscles!).  The other one is just absolutely hilarious, and also quite a talented interior designer.  I just think these boys are just too awesome to win.

The team in The Shop: I cannot stand August.  I can’t his smug, arrogant face, and the way he speaks.  I can’t stand his attitude, I cannot stand his name, and it annoys me how he does nothing and takes all of the credit.  He needs to be eliminated from the show.  The girls in his team need to pool their budget and bribe the judges so they can get rid of him.  I cannot stand August, so I don’t want his team to win.  The end.

The team in the Weatherboard house; boring.  Keenan’s a hot tradie and Mel’s a cute Mum that does the reno thing for a living.  Whatever.  You bore me, please leave (I miss Jason the giant – he was awesome).

The team in the Half Done House: I really like Peter, and I’m glad he has Sam along for the ride now, too.  He needed heaps of help, but to me, he takes this shit WAAAYYY to seriously.  I suppose, I if I was in the competition, I would too, but he needs to take the intensity down a peg or two.  Wouldn’t mind if he won though, because I like what they’re doing at the house.

Then, there’s the 60’s Suburban.  To me, this project is just a train wreck.  Not only is poor Nate struggling on his own (and sick to boot), he’s fast running out of money.  I cannot see any way in which this demolition expert can turn this house into a gold mine without any outside help.  Plus, I think this house was in the best condition, too; it just needed a major facelift.  I seriously think he’s fucked.

I love this show, and it’s just a shame that it hasn’t taken off like its forefather, Masterchef.  We’re treated to the same out of control challenges, which stress everybody, including the viewer, out of their minds.  The same scattered contestant commentary, that produces such gold as ‘this is really hard work’, ‘I don’t think we’ll get this done on time’ and my favourite, which wins the ‘Captain Obvious’ award: ‘if we don’t secure this frame properly, this whole thing could come down on top of us.’

No shit.

The judges in this show annoy me less than those in Masterchef, because they seem to be more encouraging of the contestants’ concepts and ideas, and less like angry parents chastising their children for their lack of conformity.

I like the range of contestants in the show (apart from August), because they are all quite different, and I can see some of them are quite strongly willed, which makes some of the group challenges very interesting.

I can also see the animosity growing in The Shop team, because the two girls that do all of the work are not feeling the love toward August, and it’s starting to show.  They are not alone.

However, I dare say that after this show wraps, Australia’s Top Renovator will disappear into oblivion like all of the other contestants, as this show will be shelved due to its lack of audience.  I doubt there will be a season 2, which will be a shame, because the show is very entertaining.  I’ve certainly learnt a lot.

The downside to this newly acquired knowledge, is that it will cost a fortune.  You see, I would like a new sofa, a new lounge suite, a new dining suite, a new bedroom suite, French doors in the back room, leading out to the entertainment area, new carpet in the lounge, the paving done under the carport, some new outdoor furniture, an indoor pool, a home theatre, the main bathroom renovated, and my study finished.

Not much, really.  So, I think I’ll start buying Tattslotto tickets.  I figure that’s the only way any of this shit is going to happen.
 
Three weeks to go, and I wonder who will really win.  I wonder, after the laughable anti-climax of The Block, how this series will end.  They all have an ‘auction day’, and the winner is the team with the highest profit margin.  How will they judge that if nothing sells, particularly in this real estate climate?

Should make for an interesting finish, and I hope my Fibro boys are there at the end.

Happy renovating!

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment