Friday 23 September 2011

RATINGS SEASON


Clearly, the new ratings season is about to begin.

Why?

Well, the usual life-sucking commercials that we see on the free-to-air channels have suddenly become less annoying, as they are littered with promo’s for the new season shows.  However, the downside is that these repetitive ads, if possible, are more annoying than ever. 

I can be anywhere in the house, and know that when I hear Sneaky Sound Systems ‘Big’, that it’s an ad for Junior Masterchef.  Or if I hear Lanie Lane’s ‘Bang Bang’, here come the Gleeks.  I’m getting a tad sick of that one…

I’m being brainwashed, and it’s working.

I am excited about the new season shows, because I’m sick of the repeats.  I cannot wait for Glee, NCIS, NCIS: LA, Junior Masterchef and Hawaii Five-O to start again.  They’re my fave shows, particularly the perve fest in Hawaii Five-O *starts humming theme*.

Then, we also have the new stuff coming, like Terra Nova.  Now that looks interesting.  I hope we get some more interesting shows like this, because some of the new stuff that has been thrown up this year, has been crap.

I read an article in the Herald Sun the other day, saying that the free-to-air channels had dished up no less than 50 turkeys in 2011.  Shows like The Renovators, Blue Bloods, 6.30pm with George Negus, Top Gear Australia, Top Design, Hamish & Andy’s Gap Year, Camelot, The Defenders and Detroit 1-8-7 are just a few of the shows that disappointed.

I tried to watch Detroit 1-8-7 and Camelot, but they lost me after about two minutes.  They just didn’t grab me at all.  I watched part of Hamish & Andy’s Gap Year, and wasn’t overly impressed.  Same old same old that’s just not funny anymore.  Don’t know if the rest of the series was like that; didn’t bother to hang around to find out.

Merlin and Offspring were over too quickly, and I miss them already.  Packed to the Rafters and Brothers and Sisters bore me now.  I barely saw an episode of their last seasons, and PTTR is back already!

I’m not into the talent shows.  They’re all hyped up, over dramatised shows that mean nothing at the end of the day.  Same as Australian Idol.  Have these talent shows made a difference to these competitors lives?  Possibly.  However, I haven’t seen any Madonna’s, Coldplays or Foo Fighters come out of it.  That would require an individual longevity and talent that some of these contestants clearly do not have.

You know what show I really miss?  Ladette to Lady.  Now that was entertainment! LOL!  I loved my slappa fest! I just wish they would bring it back again for another season.  Hil.ar.ious.

Apparently, Big Brother is supposed to be making a return.  That show was good for the first couple of seasons, because free-to-air had never really had a reality show like it before.  Bought the voyeur out in us all, didn’t it?  Now, we’ve been inundated with reality crap (Masterchef, The Renovators, Farmer Wants A Wife, Wife Swap, Amazing Race, Worlds Strictest Parents, The Block, and I can’t remember what else).  It’s all a mash of the same thing, really.

Now I hear that the mother of all reality shows will be back for like the 20th season: Survivor.  Does anyone watch this any more?


Now is it just me, or are the ratings seasons coming around a lot quicker now?  It use to be a season a year, now we get two or three seasons in one year... Packed to the Rafters is a perfect example of that.  Are the channels that desperate to make up for the crap they've been showing us, that they're pumping out the old faves as quickly as they can?  Do they realise that they're compromising quality when they do?

Give me some real entertainment, please!  Give me a story I haven’t seen before, or take me to a place that’s different!  Peak my interest! Do something other than serve up the same crap year in year out! C’mon!

Here’s hoping that my fave shows have something different in store this season…

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment