Tuesday 31 July 2012

THE SPRAIN (PART 1)


‘Can you come and watch me play netball today Lee? Please?’

This is the question Jade asked a couple of Sundays ago, when her team were playing at their home ground in Heathcote.

Now, I usually don’t go to Jade’s netball, because Charlie get’s a little white line fever (her never yells out anything nasty – just positive stuff and cheering on the Jade’s team mates, but he’s negative toward Jade and it shits me), and a few seasons ago, Jade and I had a blow out one day, and she said some nasty things that resulted in me backing off in a lot of areas of her life.

Needless to say, I gave her what she wanted at the time, and she’s regretted it ever since.

I hadn’t seen Jade play for a while, and certainly not at all this season, so I agreed to go along with her.  It will only be for a couple of hours, right?  I have heaps of things to do this afternoon, but will have plenty of time when I get back.

So, we waltz into the stadium, and I see a few ladies that I haven’t seen for a while.  I have a gasbag to them as Charlie watches the remaining time in the Under 14 match. 

He loves watching nettyball.  Use to think it was a stupid sport, but now he understands just how competitive and challenging the game really is.  See, sometimes boys can learn things.  Yep: a miracle – I know.

After the Under 14’s finished, Charlie declared his hunger, and wandered off to find something to eat.  When he returned (with my most favourite thing ever – a hot dog), we found ourselves a seat in the bleachers, and settled in to watch Jade’s match.

I was so excited to find myself sitting next to a group of supporters for our opposition, three of which were fucken teenagers *rolls eyes*.  This was gonna be fun.

So, predictably, they got a little nasty through the course of the first quarter, slagging off our team and the way they were playing; as ya do when you’re a teenager.

Then Jade did an awesome intercept, and turned the ball over.  This of course led to a couple of nasty comments from the peanut gallery beside me.

‘She’s a fucken bitch, that chick.’ The trollop beside me stupidly said.

‘Yeah.’ Said the girl sitting behind her.  ‘I like remember her from last time.  She was always getting in the way…’

‘Excuse me…’ I said politely, and trollop turned to me.  ‘That ‘fucken bitch’ as you called her, is my daughter. So I would kindly ask you to pull your head in.  Or move.  Your choice.’

‘Oh… sorry…’ she went about fourteen shades of red.

‘Also,’ I said, turning to the girl behind her.  ‘She’s supposed to get in the way.  It’s called defence?’

I figured it was one of their mothers sitting on the other side of them that just turned and gave me a blank look.  Possibly saw the size of me and thought better of mouthing off.  Fuckwit.  What kind of parent are you?  I’d smack Jade up the back o’ the head if I heard her talk like that about an opponent.

So, half time rolls around, and the trollops disappear (no surprise), and Charlie starts chatting about the technicalities of netball as I surf Facebook (yes; Facebook was more interesting than Charlie).

A few minutes into the third, and that’s when it happens. 

A swift change of direction; a slight imbalance.  One moment she’s on her feet; the next, she’s on the boards, holding her ankle and crying out.

Pour darlin wasn’t going anywhere in a hurry.

I’m up on my feet, wanting to run screaming across the court like a hysterical parental, but know I can’t (because we’re not allowed on the court, and the umpires are particularly strict today, and the team could get in trouble, even tho Jade is lying there broken). 

Kate and Greenie, the team coach and manager, hurry onto the court, assess the situation, and help carry Jade off.  Gorgeous little Gabby, Greenie’s five year old daughter, also helps carry Jade off (by holding onto her father’s arm - bless her well intentioned little heart).

‘She may have broken it…’ Charlie mutters.

‘I think she’s rolled it, champ.  Ligaments?  A sprain maybe?’ I suggested.  All I kept thinking was that I didn’t hear a ‘snap’.

‘I dunno…’ he said, hands on hips.  Fucken captain over-reaction.

‘You go around the court and see what’s going on.  I’ll wait here.’ I say to Charlie, and he’s off.  There’s not a lot of room on the sidelines, so less arses over there the better.

The game continues, and through the moving bodies, I can see Jade crying, her leg propped in front of her, and three people (and gorgeous Gabby) discussing the situation.  Charlie turns and looks at me, shakes his head, and waves me over.

I hurry around the court (as fast as my fat arse in high heel boots will hurry anyway), hoping and praying it’s not broken.  When I get there, I’m hit with three people at once.  Poor darlin’s are stressing for Jade.

‘Okay guys.  One at a time.’ I smile calmly. ‘What the fucks going on?’

‘We’re not sure, Lee.’ Kate starts explaining.  ‘Her ankle’s blown up a bit…’ and as I look at it, I can see that it’s doubled in size.  Thankfully, she’s still got her sock and shoe on.  ‘We didn’t take her shoe and sock off, because it could well be supporting it if it’s broken.’

‘Wise move.’ I nod, rubbing Jade’s back and wiping her face.  She’s panicking and I can see her start to hyperventilate.  ‘Dude; look at me.’  She looks up, tears pouring down her face.  ‘Breathe.  Stop panicking, and breathe.  You’re not dead.  You’ll be fine.  Breathe in through your nose; out through your mouth.  Control your breathing, and that will control the pain.’

She calms down instantly.  Not the time for her usual attention seeking drama.

‘Lee,’ Greenie’s calm voice comes from behind me.  ‘I think we might be best to call an ambulance, just in case it’s broken.’

‘They will also be able to give her the Green Whistle for the pain, too.’ Kate added.

Aahhhh…. The Green Whistle.

Kate was right; the ambulance would be able to relieve her pain and get her comfortable.  They would also be able to slip her through the back doors and hopefully, attended to quickly.

‘Good idea.’ I agree, looking at Charlie.  ‘We have ambulance cover, so let’s do it.’  He nods, relieved at my ‘we have ambulance cover’ comment. Hahhaaa.

‘Cool.’ Greenie said.  ‘I’ll go call one now.’ And disappears out of the stadium for better reception.

I turn back to Jade. ‘Champ.  You need to keep that breathing going, just like I taught you, because you’re going to need to manage your pain when the ambo’s get here.’

‘What do you mean?’ she asked in a scared voice.

‘Because honey, they’re going to take your shoe and sock off, and poke around at your ankle.  They’re gonna want to see if it’s broken, love.  And it’s going to hurt.’ I put my hand on her shoulder for comfort.  ‘Plus, they’re going to move you too, and that may not be pleasant either.  So get your breathing under control, and get ready.  When the ambo’s get here, the fun’s gonna start.’

No comments:

Post a Comment