Sunday 22 July 2012

BLACK FOREST PANCAKES

So, I'm taking to lashing out a little for Sunday breakfast now.


I always have, in a way.  


I've always made bacon and eggs and stuff for Charlie on Sunday mornings (he loves his Sunday morning breaky), but because Jade's a vegetarian (yes; I'm a failure as a parent), I've taken to making some fancier stuff for her.


Last week, it was Strawberry & Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast.  This week: Black Forest Pancakes.


Indulging in these things allows me the luxury of experimenting with my cooking; trying new and different things, which I totes love.


I've written the recipe below for you; it's very easy.  The only difference is that I've used Ranier Cherries, as opposed to the traditional red cherries.  Just a different colour and flavour to original cherries.  Jade, a cherry connoisseur, said that the Ranier's don't have as much flavour as the normal cherries, but this dish tasted yummy anyway.  I would imagine it smashing with red's.


I've also attached the link to my Facebook page (Recipes Between Friends) where the original recipe (amongst many others!) is.  This recipe is from the website that I'm totally addicted to now: www.closetcooking.com.  Get on it.


BLACK FOREST PANCAKES




Prep: 10 minutes.  Cook: 10 minutes.  Servings: makes 2.

1 cup flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups cherries, pitted and halved
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons corn starch
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar

Mix the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.  Mix the milk, egg and butter in another large bowl.  Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.

Heat a pan over medium heat and melt a touch of butter in it.  Pour 1/4 cup of the mixture into the pan and cook until the surface starts to bubble and the bottom is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.  Flip the pancake and cook the other side until the bottom is golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Repeat for the remaining batter.

Meanwhile simmer the cherries, sugar, corn starch and water over medium heat until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.

Whip the cream and sugar until it forms soft peaks.

To assemble, place one pancake on the plate, top with cherries mixture and cream.  Repeat process until you reach your desired number of pancakes, and top with cream and a fresh cherry.  Grate some chocolate over the top to garnish.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/recipes-between-friends/black-forest-pancakes-lee-buttler/10151123388415628


Peace out.



No comments:

Post a Comment