Tuesday 18 October 2011

ON FOR OLD AND OLD

So, Mum and I went to a CWA function at Heathcote yesterday. 

The Heathcote Branch was having a fundraising event, where Blumes Fashions were holding a demonstration.  Proceeds raised went to the CWA, and in turn, went back into their local community.

For those of you that live on another planet (or in another country), the CWA is the Country Women’s Association of Victoria, of which I am a proud member myself (and am actually the Secretary of the Tooborac Branch – God help them).

Now, those that have heard of the CWA, will have images of a old ladies with perfect white/blue coifs, scones with jam and cream, and copious cups of tea.  That’s not too far from the truth.

We do make a mean cuppa, sanga and scone, but the CWA is also a serious fund raising organisation that endeavours to pour money back into local and international communities, to help out where we can.  However, it’s not only with money that we try to help, but with able (albeit geriatric) hands as well.

I joined the CWA because I wanted to get to know some ladies in my own town, and work for a charitable cause, because I just love fundraising.  It feels good to work for something other than your own end; to maybe make a small difference to a far bigger picture.    It’s good to be involved in something that’s not all about you.

Plus, I’ve made some pretty awesome friends along the way.  I love my CWA sisters.

So, to support our sister branch, most of our members went along to this fashion demonstration.  I had done a little research on Blumes Fashions, and I must say; not my cup of tea.  The fashion is directed toward the older, more mature lady, and not young and funky me.  However, this didn’t bother me; it was a morning out with Iris and my CWA sisters.

So we walk into the hall, and are greeted by a couple of ladies that collect our entry fee (a whopping $6) and ask us if we would like to buy a raffle ticket.  Aahhh… the traditional CWA raffle.  First prize and the door prize were a Blumes Vouchers.  Awesome. As I walked across the room with Iris, I said ‘knowing my luck, I’ll win one of ‘em.’  Iris just snorted a laugh.

We find ourselves a comfy seat, and check out our lovely surrounds.  Just a normal church hall, with biblical stuff everywhere (chukarama), but in the middle of the room, are several small tables that have been beautifully decorated with flowers and table cloths, and are bursting with platters of slices, cakes, sandwiches, scones and biscuits. 

So, whilst we’re waiting for our sisters to arrive and the demonstration to start, Iris and I quietly enjoy a cuppa and sandwich.  I whispered to Iris; ‘I bet you my house I’m the youngest one here.’

‘Don’t count your chickens too soon…’

‘Oh, I have NO doubt.’  And I was right.  By at least thirty years, I reckon.  Easily.

The demonstrators arrive, and wheel in rack after rack of clothing.  As they’re doing this, the army of Heathcote CWA ladies spread through the hall like a pack of storm troopers, and the empty platters, plates, cups, saucers, flowers, cloths and tables are cleared with military precision.

Suddenly, were sitting in a room full of people and clothes, ready for this demonstration. 

So this demo is unlike any other clothing demo I’ve been too.  All of these racks contained their entire seasonal range in all colours and sizes, so you could purchase what you liked on the day and take it home.  What was even more amazing, though, was that if you didn’t have enough money on you, you could take the items home, and Blumes would send you an invoice, which you could pay later!

I thought this was pretty cool, but when I looked around the audience, I realised that placing and order and waiting for four weeks for it to come in (like Tupperware or Intimo or Postie Fashions)  may not be practical, as some of these ladies possibly wouldn’t have lived that long.  Harsh; but true.

So when the demonstration was over, it was on for old and old.  I just stepped back, because there were walking frames and walking sticks flying in every direction as the blue rinse brigade descended mercilessly upon these poor, innocent clothing racks.  It was out of control.  I was seriously scared for my life.

Somehow, Iris emerged with a couple of pairs of nice pants, tops and scarves.  I don’t know how she made it out alive, but she did, God love her.

So, as I stood back waiting for Iris, enjoying another cuppa and a piece of slice from a table near the kitchen, I couldn’t help but note how friendly these ladies were.  A few of them gave me strange looks, as if to say ‘what the hell is someone as young as you doing here?’  A few came up to me, saw my ‘Branch Secretary’ badge on (God forbid you go to a meeting and forget your badge!) and asked ‘which branch are you from?’ ‘Oh, I haven’t met you before… I’m so and so’ ‘Oh! Tooborac? Well, you’re our neighbours! Welcome!’ ‘OMG! You’re so young…’

It was a fun morning out with some local ladies and my CWA sisters, even if the fashion wasn’t my bag.  Plus, Iris bought a few nice items, and she was happy.

If anything these CWA ladies have taught me, and they have taught me many things, it’s that life is what you make it, so make it as fun as you can.  My CWA sisters are a scream a minute, and I dearly love spending time with them.  They make me feel good, and I make them feel young and heart.  We all had a lovely morning out.

I think that CWA is not just about what you can give to the community, but what you can give to your sisters, and what you unwittingly receive in return.

Plus, I won the fucken door prize.

Iris got the benefit of that one.

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment