Tuesday 1 November 2011

MASTER BRATS


So, the Herald Sun not so long ago reported that the producers behind the Masterchef juggernaught had not been 100% honest with us in the presentation of their new ‘baby’; Junior Masterchef.

I’m shocked and stunned.

Not.

A ‘whistle blowing’ parent has claimed that the contestants are given the recipes to study and work on beforehand, and that they children are given professional cooking and acting lessons.  One father claims to have given their child private lessons from a chef, three days a week, in the lead up to the competition.  His child is apparently in the Top 50.

Are we at all surprised?  I’m not.  This show has a massive sign flashing over it saying ‘stage parenting! Stage parenting!’ and anyone that cannot see it, or doesn’t think that it would actually happen, is living in one of the carefully structured Junior Masterchef wonderland sets.  Possibly the chocolate one… that was the most fantastical…

Since reading this article in the Herald Sun (Aleks Devic, 19.10.11), I have watched this show through very different eyes.

It was bad enough being subjected to the ridiculous product placement and spoilers of the third Masterchef series (as well as Dani), but this is all together different.

A group of spoilt brats that I do believe can actually cook to a degree, are just turning it up for their 15 minutes of fame.  Or should I say the 15 minutes of fame that their parents want for them?  Mmm…

So what if the kids have the recipes weeks beforehand to practice with?  When it comes to the crunch, they still have to produce the goods under pressure.  Have a look at the elimination challenge the other night: Matt Moran’s Mango Cheesecake.

Out of the six kids that created the dish, two completely fucked it up and it didn’t even set!  Sure, the ‘motherly’ Anna Gare praised their efforts and told them how fantastic their dishes were, but at the end of the day, even with all the assistance in the world (both pre-competition and during it), they still didn’t cut it.  FAIL.  Goodbye competition; hello insignificance.

So, all the professional coaching and training won’t rescue them when it comes to elimination time, which is what matters I think.  They need to be able to hold it together and produce a winner under pressure.

Just like the grown ups.

However, what I find quite unnerving is the mature, cool attitude of some of these kids.  One in particular; I think his name is Chandler.  Man, he is a cool customer.

When the producers spew out the contestant commentary that litters the show, this kid gives me the chills.  Dead serious.  Dead focused.  He’s there to win.  At all costs. 

Just try to tell me that’s not stage parenting.  It’s too…. Fake? No, that’s not the right word.  It’s too… predictable?  Rehearsed? Senior Mastercheffy? Catering to the audience? Lame? 

Mmm… you pick.

So, not only do I not enjoy the fact that there are children out there a quarter of my age that know what fucken tapioca is, and how to cook it, but that they are on prime time television screaming, crying and high-fiving their way through this blundering competition. 

All because they want to ‘live their dream’.  I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: ask yourself who you’re really doing this for kiddies, and go back to your play stations.  Better yet, go back to your ipads, because there are recipe apps that you can download…

So, it’s no surprise that the ratings for this show have plummeted as well.  Opened to a big bang, but it’s nothing but a whimper now.  Another TV show that Channel 10 will have to drag through to the end, when the viewer will possibly not even notice that it’s gone.

If I can deal with my obvious failings in the kitchen myself, I will possibly find the courage to watching this pre-packaged tripe again myself. 

Possibly whilst I’m enjoyed re-heated left-overs. 

Fitting.

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment