Wednesday 19 March 2014

THE NEXT STEP

Hi peeps.

So, having completed my initial studies, and scoring the ‘dream job’ for me, I want to further my studies.

Patisserie is the thing for me.

You know I love baking, and doing the desserts at the pub is right up my alley.  So I wanna take this further by expanding my knowledge on all things patisserie.

When I initially started my TAFE course, the trainer said to me ‘what direction do you want to head in with your food?’ I had absolutely no fucken idea.

I would love to have my own café, but I think anyone that ventures into food wants the same fucken thing.  I love pub food and comfort cooking, so I sort of leaned toward that.

I recall saying to him that I wanted to keep an open mind.  Again, I wanted to trust the universe, because it would naturally present something to me. 

Of course, that was baking and desserts, which I excelled in at TAFE.  I would have loved to have landed a job in a patisserie, but I also wanted to cook meals for people as well.  At the pub, I seem to have found the perfect role for me.  A balance of sweet and savoury. J

So, looking toward the future, I met with my trainer at TAFE last week to discuss my options.  I’ve done the Cert II and III, so the only way from there is up.

Now, I have three options.  I could do a Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery, a Certificate IV in Patisserie, or a Diploma in Commercial Cookery.

Even though my trainer explained that I’m more than competent to skip the Cert IV’s and go straight to the Diploma, there are two things that stop me. 

Firstly, it’s commercial cookery.  I’ve already studied commercial cookery; I don’t think I want to major in that.  Secondly, the Diploma level is not government funded.  So I would be looking at a cost of about $10,000.00.  Fucken BAM!  I can’t afford that.  I’m poor white trash, and the idea of hocking my box on top of everything else I have to do over the next two years, is simply not that appealing to me.

So, considering I don’t really want to do more in commercial cookery, and my heart does lean toward patisserie, that’s the certification that I’ve opted for.

Certificate IV in Hospitality – Patrisserie.  BAM! 

36 units is what I’m facing this time around. 

Last year it was about 30 units crammed into twelve months.  It was a hard slog.  So instead of pushing hard, we’re spreading the units across the next two years.

Most of the study is off-campus.  Theory is online, and practical application is in the workplace, where my trainers will come and assess me. 

However, in August, I will have to attend classes on campus for specific practical applications.  Cakes, pastries, petit fours, yeast products, gateaux, tortes, chocolate work and sugar work. 

How fucken exciting!!

Sugar work!

Chocolate work!

OMFG!!!

I can’t wait to see what I will learn!  I love playing with chocolate, and I can only imagine what baking treats I’m in store for!!

I would really love to go as far as I possibly can with my education, but like everything else in life, you are restricted by your financial means.

Fucken.

So, hopefully by the time I finish my next certification, I will have won tattslotto, and can afford to pay for my diploma. 

Who the fuck am I kidding?  If I won tattslotto, I’d be hiring a fucken chef to cook for me! Idiot! What am I thinking? Keep studyi? *face palm

Be that as it may, this course will cost me between $2000 and $3000, which I can thankfully pay off over the duration of the next two years.  Again, without this facility, I possibly couldn’t afford to do this.

Thank the universe for small mercies.

So, my new course should start about the end of March, and I’m really keen to see what is going to be thrown at me.

Obviously, I hope that I can infuse some of what I earn into the workplace, and either spunk up my desserts even more, or create something new and exciting for the customers to enjoy.

It shall be an interesting two years, I believe.

I wonder where this journey will take me?


Peace out peeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment